In yesterday’s post, 5 Website Dos Before Submitting to Search Engines, we talked about several important things to consider before running out and submitting to all the search engines of the world. Today, I am listing my 7 recommended free places to present your site for indexing.
First, you will need to have a title, a short paragraph description, and even some basic category ideas written out before you begin the process. Next, you may want to consider creating a separate email account for your listings. Once you begin working with directories, you will get tons of offers to verify your account (which is good), along with offers for everything under the sun i.e. spam (which is bad). Finally, to accomplish this process you should block out a couple hours of uninterrupted time. Ready? Let’s begin…
1. Google: http://google.com/addurl
2. Yahoo/Bing: http://www.search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
3. Submit Express: http://www.submitexpress.com/free-submission.html
4. Free Web Submission: http://freewebsubmission.com
5. All Site Cafe: http://www.allsitecafe.com/submitter/submit.html
6. Add Me: http://www.addme.com
7. Add Pro: http://www.addpro.com/submit30.htm
These seven sites will add and feed your new listing into 200-300 other directories. Depending on the nature of your website, there may be products or service-specific-search-engines you may want to also consider. If you are a blogger, there are additional blog directories (I’ll write about in future posts) you should also post with. Finally, be patience. The process of getting your site listed is a relatively slow one. Unfortunately, usually take 4-10 weeks before you start showing up everywhere.
What other listing site would you add? What has been your experience?