April 8 & 9 was opening weekend for the 37th year of Scarborough Renaissance Festival, a lavish spread of characters in costume, games, shows, jousting, parades, wine and beer tastings, turkey legs, adult beverages, adult cleavage, and so much more. What began in 1981 as a patch of pasture with a few tents and artisans is now one of the largest Renaissance festivals AND juried craft shows in the country.
Bonus Fun Stuff:I Just Never Got Into Cooking Shows … Until I Was “In” One.
It’s $28 per adult at the gate, $13 for children 5-12 and children under 5 are free (2017 prices).
New to the Ren Fest scene? The people in costume who work there stay in character, with accents, lilt, brogue, gesture and form. There’s a lot of hand-kissing for the females, those rogues. It’s vogue to go rogue with a brogue. (Sorry.)
- They generally host more than 20 weddings per season.
- You can rent costumes there, wear your own period attire, or just your street clothes. Comfortable shoes are a must – it’s outdoors on grass/rocks/dirt.
- The 35-acre grounds have 226 PERMANENT Renaissance-style structures.
- More than 20 TONS of the infamous Turkey Legs are consumed during the eight-week period. Hopefully not by one guy.
- Many of the craftspeople and artisans give live demos of their work: pottery, metalsmith, glass-blowing, painters, weaving, hair braiding, leather- and woodworking.
- Touted as having the largest offering of Food On A Stick in Texas: Chicken, steak, sausage, fruit, macaroni & cheese, mushrooms, key lime pie, and more. Dallas Observer covered some of their new food options for 2017 here.
- Celtic and Easter Weekend April 15 & 16. Full daily schedule here.
- Carriage rides around the festival grounds. (Treat Mom for Mother’s Day Brunch too May 13 & 14.)
- Vow Renewal Reception on May 13 & 14 for $35/couple (above ticket price) that includes cake, mead toast, souvenir glasses.
- 157 cast members – the largest performing cast ever, many of whom are volunteers.
- The London Broil Show – Improvisational comedy and juggling with knives, clubs & fire. Sounds like election season to me.
- Mermaid Lagoon, petting zoo and other attractions
- Ember Rosenflame – This Fire Fairy was raised by dragons and is visiting the human world. (I wonder how many will be walking around in GoT Khalisi costumes.)
- Don Juan & Miguel – Scarborough long-timers featuring stage swordwork.
Things To Remember
Arrive early to avoid a long walk to the gate and expect to be on the grounds for at least four to five hours. (Sweet: Free Parking!) There’s a lot of shopping and food to try so bring cash — you have to budget for the necessities like costume rentals, henna arts, jewelry, hair weaving and swords. (There are ATMs on the grounds.) Outside food and drink are not allowed in except for infant foods, but you can picnic outside the gates. Follow their Twitter for daily weather updates that could affect the Festival.
2511 FM 66
Waxahachie, TX | Route Map
TURF: Outskirts of the metroplex
WHAT MAKES IT FUN?
Jousting, ye olde tyme costumes & arts, foods on a stick; open every Weekend through Memorial Day Monday.
Categories: Fun Places
A WINNER HAS BEEN DRAWN AND NOTIFIED! Congratulations Georgeanne T. of Corinth, Texas!
Want to go back in time for the time of your life for the low, low price of NO CHARGE?? Leave a comment for your chance to win 2 tickets to any day of the 2017 season of Scarborough Renaissance Festival in Waxahachie! Drawing ends April 25th! Drawing is now CLOSED to entries for 2017. THANK YOU FOR ENTERING!